Black Bean Burgers
This is a recipe I found in Cooking Light magazine. I served with a mango salsa (mango, cilantro, red onion, lime, garlic), but just as good served with traditional toppings - lettuce, onion, and ketchup.
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ cup (2 oz) shredded cheese (cheddar, mont jack)
- ¼ cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 2 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mash black beans with a fork in a medium bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients. Shape mixture into 6 (1/2 inch thick) patties – you can use your hands or scoop out and form with a spoon. Arrange on baking sheet (lined with parchment paper for easier clean up). Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, turning once.
- Serve on a whole wheat bun with your favorite toppings.