Black Bean Soup
This is my husband Thomas’ favorite soup. This recipe (slightly modified) is from the Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home cookbook.
- 10 sun dried tomatoes (not in oil)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 medium onion, view chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, pills minced
- 1 jalapeno chile, see minced (take out seeds)
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (28 oz), do not drain
- 2 cans black beans (16 oz each), do not drain
- chopped fresh cilantro (I use ½ of a bunch)
- Soak tomatoes in boiling water. Set aside.
- In a soup pot, sauté onions, garlic, and jalapeno in oil, for about 5 minutes. Add cumin, water, and tomatoes. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat, and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Add black beans (and their liquid) and the sun dried tomatoes (chopped up), and continue to simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro, and remove from heat.
- Puree half of the soup in a blender or food processor (I have a KitchenAid Hand Blender and puree right in soup pot).
- Serve with corn bread or crackers.