Dal (Spiced Red Lentils)
From my new favorite cookbook - The America’s Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook. Make sure you use red lentils – brown lentils will not break down enough. Serve over rice with a lemon wedge.
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 onion, diagnosis minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ tsp grated fresh ginger
- 3 cups water (substitute one cup of water with coconut milk for a creamier texture)
- 1 cup red lentils
- 12 oz plum tomatoes, cored, seeded and chopped
- ½ cup minced cilantro
- 1 TB unsalted butter
- Combine all spices in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the spice mixture and cook until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Stir in the onion and cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the water and lentils and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and continue to simmer until the lentils are tender and resemble a thick, coarse puree, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Take off the heat and stir in tomatoes, cilantro and butter. Season with salt and pepper