No Bake Bars (Sweetened by Dates)
I am participating in a “no processed food” 30 day eating challenge, so I found these two no-bake bars recipes to make for a treat. They are naturally sweetened by dates - taste just like Larabars! A note to my Chicago friends - I buy dates at the deli counter at the Pita Inn market on Dempster.
Cashew No Bake Cookies
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 2/3 cup pitted dates
- tiny pinch salt
- 1/8 tsp (or 2-3 drops) of good quality vanilla extract (optional)
- Blend together in a food processor.
- Press into a pan lined with parchment or waxed paper.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Cut into bite size pieces.
Chocolate No Bake Bars
- 2 cups pitted medjool dates
- 1 1/4 cups almonds
- 1 1/4 cups walnuts
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 TB vanilla extract
- 2-3 TB water
- Line a pan or baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In food processor, blend dates, almonds, and walnuts until only small pieces remain.
- Add coconut, salt, and cocoa. Pulse into mixture until combined and crumbly.
- Add vanilla and 2 TB water until mixture is clumped together. Add additional TB water if necessary.
- Transfer into lined pan and press with spatula until flat. Chill for 30 minutes. Cut into bite sized pieces.
- Store bars in the refrigerator.