Pasta and Cauliflower with Vegan Cheese Sauce
My daughter asked me to make her this recipe from One Green Planet. I added cauliflower and changed the recipe slightly, but have kept the delicious sweet and spicy flavor.
- 2 cups sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, chopped into small pieces
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1/2 pound dried elbow pasta
- 4 TB vegan butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups plain almond milk
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp white miso
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 TB nutritional yeast
- 2 cups baby spinach, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400. Place sweet potato and cauliflower on separate sides of roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil and bake until soft. Put sweet potato in a bowl and mash with a fork. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium pot, melt butter. Add garlic and sauté for one minute. Add flour and stir with a whisk for one minute. Add half of the milk and stir for 2 minutes, or until thick. Stir in mashed sweet potato, remaining milk, miso, cayenne, cinnamon, salt, and nutritional yeast. Cook for a few more minutes until thick.
- Transfer sauce to a blender and blend until smooth. Put cooked pasta and cauliflower into pot, and add blended sauce. Stir in chopped spinach and cook for a few more minutes until sauce is hot and spinach is wilted.