Roast Mushrooms and Kale over Mashed Sweet Potatoes
This is a slightly modified recipe originally from Rachael Ray
- 16 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, salve thinly sliced
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme, troche chopped
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), cheap divided
- Sea salt and pepper
- 5 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- A few dashes of hot sauce
- 1 cup extra-sharp yellow cheddar cheese
- 1 pound kale, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- grated nutmeg
- Pre-heat the oven to 450°F.
- On a large baking sheet, dress the mushrooms, garlic and thyme with 3 tablespoons EVOO and spread out. Roast the mushrooms for 20 minutes, then remove from the oven and season with sea salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a pot, combine the sweet potatoes and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, season with sea salt and cook until fork-tender, 15 minutes. Drain and return to the pot, then mash with the stock and milk. Season with sea salt, pepper, paprika and hot sauce. Stir in the cheddar until melted.
- While the potatoes are working, in a bowl, toss the kale with the remaining 1 tablespoon EVOO and season with sea salt, pepper and a few dashes of nutmeg. Arrange the kale on a cooling rack set over a baking sheet and roast until crisp at the edges, 10-12 minutes (you may also steam or saute the kale, if you prefer, instead of roasting).
- Combine the mushrooms and garlic with the kale and serve on a bed of sweet potatoes.