White Bean Soup
This is a great winter meal with a piece of whole grain bread. From Vegetarian Times magazine (yummy, healthy recipes!!)
- 3 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large baking potato (8 oz.), cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 (19-oz.) cans white kidney beans (cannellini), rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 tsp. coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- In food processor, mince garlic. Add onion and pulse until finely chopped. Remove to plate. Add carrots to food processor and coarsely chop.
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion mixture and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in diced potato and 1 1/2 cups broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until potato is tender, about 10 minutes.
- In food processor, puree half the beans, adding a little remaining broth to thin. Add bean puree, remaining whole beans and remaining 1 cup broth to potato mixture in saucepan. Stir well and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in parsley, salt and pepper and serve.